Saturday, August 2, 2014

Summer Blues equals Creative Muse

Here it is the first of August and the summertime blues have caught up with me. It's blistering hot where I live, and the humidity is off the charts. Is it any wonder that my brain is frazzled and unable to make heads or tails of the new novel I'm writing? It's just too damn hot to concentrate--or is it?

As usual, my Creative Muse enjoys making a fool out of me. Just when I think, I'll never write my way out of the story/plot dilemma I've put myself in, the characters solve the problem for me. For weeks, I've been wondering how to get my characters from A to B, and using psycho-babble to get them there (the dialogue really sucks, folks). And then, they take over and begin writing where THEY know I should go. They literally hi-jack the novel, and begin writing the story for me.

Suddenly, the Creative Muse is hot--as hot as the blazing sun outside my windows. I find the spine of the story at last, thanking the characters for their love and support (and putting up with all my fervered "damns" and "hells"). If nothing else, it's clear, they want their story told, NEED to have it  told.  And isn't what we paranormal romance writers live for? A chance to let our readers experience the lives of ordinary people, struggling through extraordinary circumstances? As my mother used to say instead of a simple yes: "You bet your sweet bippy".

  

No comments:

Post a Comment