Thursday, May 8, 2014

Paranormal Book Covers

As part of a Book Marketing Challenge I'm doing, I've been perusing book covers that relate to my genre (paranormal romance). I have to say that 80% of these covers are dark, gritty and sometimes extremely graphic, especially when it comes to the romantic part (read that to mean, sex).

After exploring at least thirty of these covers, I realize that my perception of paranormal and the young generation now writing this genre of stories, is as far apart as the Earth is to the Moon.  Don't get me wrong. I have no objection to werewolves, vampires or shapeshifters doing their "thing". Even if that "thing" is killing or blood-letting. After all, the stories come from a creative muse that isn't real (or shouldn't be, anyway). And I have no objection to explicit sex scenes. It's the violence that dominates these scenes that makes me feel really old (and really sad).

I've been reading romance novels since I was a kid, and I have seen the change in storylines mirror the change in the world as it grows and evolves (or devolves in some cases). Both Film and TV are riddled with violent crimes and sex scenes that push the boundaries of our moral center into the stratosphere. And lately, when I turn on the nightly news, another teen has lashed out at his teachers, classmates, or his parents in an extremely violent manner. 

Where will it all end? I wish I knew. I only know that dark, gritty and sexually explicit book covers don't fit the paranormal world I know and love to write about.  Call me old-fashioned. Call me a prude. I probably deserve it.  But, as my Dad used to say when we were playing poker. "If you show all the cards in your hand too soon, you've nothing to bluff with. Leave a little mystery. It adds spice to the game and makes you a much more interesting player".  Ah, yes. Dad was certainly wise.   


     

No comments:

Post a Comment