Friday, June 13, 2014

False Memories

One of my favorite pastimes is re-reading a favorite book. Usually, I choose a romance novel (just to keep my romantic juices flowing). However, I often re-read one of Dean Koontz's novel (just because he is my writing hero).

I recently finished re-reading his novel, False Memory. The book explores the  theme of brain-washing, the ability to manipulate and reprogram the mind--for good or evil. With just the use of a code word (and a Haiku poem), the hero and heroine are plunged into a nightmare world, where they lose hours of real time, and begin to think (and do) inexplicable things. They are literally caught between two worlds--the physical and the mental.

Their plight made me think of my hero, Psychic/Magician, Adrian Magus, in my novel, The Kindred,  At the start of the story, he is at a turning point in his life, struggling with his real world and the world of illusions he creates nightly for audiences on a Las Vegas stage. Which is the real and which is the illusion?

That question had me wondering what you all think. Are you living the life you were born to live, or are you living the life you've been "programmed" to live--a life created by your parents, your friends, the world at large?  Let me know. Leave a comment. 

For myself, I know that as I got older, I began to live the life I wanted to live, rather than the one everyone else wanted me to live. That knowledge was so freeing (and addictive), that I've never wavered from the task. What about you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment