Thursday, December 31, 2015

New Year's Intentions

During a recent prayer shawl meeting with the girls, we began swapping stories about our childhood holiday memories. Some of the stories were sad, some sweet, some were totally hilarious, but all were similar because we're all in the same age category. We were all born when the family structure was still intact. Only one of us had "broken home" memories, but all of us agreed it was a MUCH different time back then. We were grateful just to have the love and guidance of our parents.

Why am I bringing this up now? Because it's the last day of 2015, and like millions all over the world, I am making my New Year's intentions--yes, I said INTENTIONS. You see, while we were swapping stories, my friend Cherry confessed that she no longer makes New Year's resolutions, but New Year's INTENTIONS. She said that making intentions rather than resolutions gives a different feel to what she wants to accomplish in the New Year, so that if and when any of her intentions "fail", she doesn't beat herself up the way she used to when her resolutions went bust. (e.g. while dieting, she put on weight instead of losing it).

I thought a lot about her words on the way home from the meeting, and it made perfect sense to me that making a list of intentions rather than resolutions takes the pressure off one's ego/self-esteem. You see, it's impossible for the ego to sabotage an intention because no where on the list did the words. "I will..." ever get written down. Instead, the words, "I intend to" are written, and the ego goes "Oh, she intends to....not a definitive "I will", guess that's okay. I'll leave her alone and let her try".

So, in honor of my self-esteem, here are a couple of intentions I intend to accomplish this year: (1) I intend to be kinder to people--more helpful; (2) I intend to write another novel and have it published; (3) I intend to lose 30 lbs. by eating healthier; (4) I intend to focus more on my spiritual development by hanging out with like-minded individuals.....and the list goes on....

What are your intentions for yourself this year? I hope it's to be the best YOU you can be and of course, being kinder and more helpful to those in need. For at this time of year, it's true that if we aren't our brothers' keeper, who will be?

   

No comments:

Post a Comment